Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Paint the town brown


I mentioned in my previous post that there was a gathering of a group of people dressed in brown in support of Mr Brown, the humour columnist who had his column suspended because the Gahmen took offense with his article "Singaporeans are fed up with progress". Well, over lunch today, some colleagues and I decided we too would wear brown in a show of support for Mr Brown.

Then just this evening, I read in Singabloodypore about the Brown Freedom Movement which involves wearing brown and looking out for others similarly dressed and calling out some kind of code. The movement will go on till National Day. So I'm getting out all my brown clothes and fortunately I do like to wear brown so I have quite a number of brown pieces, and I'll be trying my best to go brown between now till National Day. If you believe in the cause, join the movement too and let's paint the town brown!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The clothes shown in the photos are blue, not brown.
Policemen in S'pore are reputed to be among those having the best pay and the least work. So at least make them do something, better than doing nothing in the stations.

Anonymous said...

I find that part about calling out the code to people dressed in brown rather funny. Imagine people calling out to, say, ah peks and aunties or foreigners who have no clue about what is going on.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know about this. Kind of interesting. I have some brown clothes but haha...not enough to be worn everyday in support lah.

fuzzoo said...

kongkong: They are brown lah. Maybe he lighting is no good. I don't know about policemen in Singapore being well paid but they definitely don't face the kind of job hazard that their counterparts in many other countries face. If they have so much time, they should clean up Joo Chiat and rid the HDB estates of those sleazy massage parlours, and without being told - don't understand why these people are so not proactive and need prompting from the public to do their jobs.

household name: Yes I'm not sure about using the code. I said "so say we all" to a colleague wearing a brown blouse today and she said "huh?"

sesame: i have quite a lot of brown clothes but even then had a headache this morning thinking what to wear. i settled for a somewhat brown, actually more biege blouse. but there is any impact unless many people are similarly dressed and you see them together.