Saturday, May 13, 2006

The Mess

I can't take it any longer!!!!!!! I am fighting a losing battle and I feel about ready to throw in the towel!!!

I'm talking about the Mess in my home. I know I should pack up the place every night to keep things from getting out of hand but I'm just too tired after work to pack up and come the weekend, I pay for it when I am faced with a whole week's mess to clear.

It used to be that I could beat back the Mess but over time, the Mess has slowly gained strength and is now getting quite formidable. Look at how it threatens to overwhelm us.

Look at the Mess sitting on top of the shelves!!!

The Mess relaxing on top of the shoe cabinet. The inside of the cabinet is a more pleasant sight than the outside.

Interior decor tip: Do not waste your money on a B&B Italia dining table if you are going to hide it under a pile of rubbish. And look in the background - we believe in multi-functional furniture so the ironing board also acts as a side board for items such as bills, magazines, plastic bags, clothes that need mending, clothes that have been ironed, clothes that need ironing, etc. What happens when the ironing board is actually used for ironing? The Mess considerately shifts itself over to the designer sofa.

Every home should have some conversation pieces. I have some on the TV cabinet that would inspire conversation such as, "Er, why do you have a big ceramic peanut on your TV cabinet?". Keeping the big ceramic peanut company are - a ceramic rabbit, a bronze tortoise, two Narnia snow globes, two tael-shaped nian gao, a clock, a bonsai plant made of wire and stones and a scattering of ang pows. I owe my eclectic taste in TV cabinet decor to well-meaning relatives who take it upon themselves to improve the feng shui in my home. Despite putting up with the eyesore, I have yet to be rewarded with a lottery win.

The Mess likes to hide behind bedroom doors but here you see that it has grown so much that it no longer confines itself to dark corners. Look at how the Mess unabashedly displays itself like a hideous piece of installation art.

HELP!!!! Get me outta here before the Mess swallows me up!!!! I need to move to a new home and start all over again!!! I promise to be good this time. I promise not to underestimate the unstoppable force that is the Mess. I promise to appease the Mess and build lots of storage cabinets for the Mess to reside in comfortably. Yes, that is the only way we can hope to achieve peaceful co-existence.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fuzzoo
I have the same problems with mess and junk and other stuff. Although we try to de-clutter every now and then, weeding things out, getting rid of things we haven't touched for some time, etc, the place doesn't look all that different! I mean, now that I'm a 'full-time housewife', there should be marked improvement, right?

At least you can say that you're busy with work.

Anonymous said...

Gosh!!! I thought I was the only one who used to live with the horrible Mess. But as you all grew up, the Mess got confined to your own individual bedrooms and so things got better. The way I dealt with it or lived with it was to tell myself and others that a house is meant to be lived in and not a showpiece. The more messy the hosue is, the more it has been lived in. Meaning that the occupants actually love to live
there and a lot of activities have taken place there. Children will be children and until you can allocate a room for each of them and teach them to be responsible for their own room cleaning, you will have to live with the Mess.It's not that bad really, just takes getting used to, that's all. Even now, with such a big house and so many rooms and no children and grandchildren with us, we still have a nasty Mess with us. Mama can live with it and so can I. She was really unhappy with our former fulltime housekeeper for keeping our house free of the Mess. She accused the housekeeper of hiding everything in the closets and storeroom to avoid having to tidy up the house as it was so speck and clean, nothing useless lying around anywhere. Our house was like a show house as some of our visitors used to remark. Mama thought the housekeeper was having too much
free time (she even arranged vases of flowers for the dining and coffee tables)as everything was so tidy and well organised. So she had to go and now we have a part-timer who just comes and clean the windows, mops the floor, hangs up the washings and do some ironing, no time to clean up the Mess caused by the 2 of us, just 2!!! Mama is happy now because now we have the Mess back to stay with us even though we still dearly miss all our children and grandchildren who are also welcome to help the Mess grow bigger in our too-big-for-two double-storeyed bungalow.
So, do you know the morale of the story?

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's some MESS! I cannot live with MESS. Everything must be "MEI MEI" for me. Otherwise, I'll throw major tantrums. But having said that, I've become less anal over the years and have given way to some allowance for MESS these days, especially since my boy arrived.

fuzzoo said...

household name: It's frustrating isn't it? Takes forever to de-clutter but messing up takes no time at all.

kongkong: A bit of mess is ok, but it's getting out of hand! I screamed at the girls last night and they packed up the place a little so now at least the mess on top of the shelves is gone. Now for the rest of the flat...

sesame: I can't stand the mess either so sometimes I get so annoyed I throw a tantrum so bad that everyone at home gets really scared of me and starts packing up the place, my MIL included.

Anonymous said...

Kongkong, so you're the one who likes the mess 'cos I was really ashamed of how cluttered our house was when we were around. Looks like sister is the messy one, as we've always known it, and now it's passed on to her children! Yikes! I thought I could stay at your house when I visit but looks like Uncle Pat's house will do . . . hmmm.

fuzzoo said...

Sis, let's admit it - our room was the messiest place in our home. Remember we had dustballs we called "tumbleweeds" rolling about in our room. I'm not the messy one really!! It's the other people here - they just do not care for tidiness at all so I'm the only packing and packing but it's 5 against 1. No, you do not want to step into bro's cat hair infested flat; I haven't in a very long time!!

Steffles said...

you're funny. you write very well. how come you're not like that you when speak in real life? hee ;-) if its any consolation, my Mess is just as bad (and i only need to worry about a fiance!!).

Anonymous said...

Hi Fuzzoo
Wah! Quite messy. I used to live in such a situation. I belived only moving to a bigger or new unit, the situation will change. Check it out with KK, he also know our past situation. At least kids can teach or scold them "why can't you keep your things" but to adults .... I also agreed with kongkong, a house is meant to be lived in and not a showpiece. We also used to be so lazy to pack our mess in the past or even now. Always hope for the best, a neat house is on the way...