Saturday, May 06, 2006

I have a choice

Today, I have the privilege that not every Singaporean is lucky to have. I have the privilege to vote for my representative in Parliament while many wards in the country go uncontested, leaving the ruling party to bring in more yes men to fill up the backbenches in Parliament.

Last night I attended the Worker's Party rally at Serangoon Stadium. As with all Worker's Party rallies, the crowd was a huge swarm like an army of ants, with the crowds spilling out to the surrounds of the stadium. And as with all their rallies, the closing speech was made by the charismatic Mr Low Thia Khiang. But last night's rally ending was especially emotional, not just because it was the last rally before polling day, but because WP closed the rally by saying the National Pledge with the crowd. This is the same pledge that everyone recites, PAP supporter or opposition supporter; it is a pledge we make as citizens of Singapore, committing ourselves "to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and progress for our nation."

With the National Pledge in mind, when I go to the polls today, I will use my vote wisely, for my future, my children's future and the good of our country.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never got a chance to head down cos of my son but I was surprised my husband who usually hate crowds went. I only caught glimpse of it on video footages. Very inspiring, especially the last part.

fuzzoo said...

sesame: I was actually very busy last week but GE only comes once in 5 years so I just had to be there for the rallies and I'm very glad I did.