Sunday, November 06, 2005

Just 2 more days to go

Tai Pi has an English paper tomorrow and a Maths paper day after and then her exams are over!

Anyway I have not subjected her to the same intensity of revision work the past couple of weeks because I can't keep up with it myself. It is not something I enjoy at all and I guess it's hard to keep at something you don't find any pleasure in. I'm also more relaxed now as Tai Pi has shown improvement. Just last Friday, her BASC teacher said that her math is now the best among the kids! Not bad considering she was the worst at one time. I am so pleased with myself! hee hee... This reminds me of when I gave tuition during my undergrad days. I taught this primary school kid and she won the award for greatest improvement. When I quit, her mom begged me to continue!


This morning, after Tai Pi did a math revision paper (she scored 96% for it), we had a treasure hunt where the girls searched for a series of clues, one leading to the next till they finally get to the treasure (M&Ms in the letterbox). They had so much fun with it, I promised I would have a treasure hunt for them another day. After that, we went for another one of our walks or "running away from home" as we like to call it (inspired by the children's story "A Baby Sister For Frances").
As usual, we went to the Reading Room at the clubhouse (see pics above) and also made a trip to the provision shop where the girls get to buy some snacks for a picnic at a nearby void deck (see bottom pic). At this age, it is very easy and very cheap to keep them amused.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Tai Pi's grandfather is right about those nasty assessment books. Teachers should be banned from setting questions that test language in Maths rather than concepts (like the 'more than' and less than' in all sorts of phrasing). A problem is only a maths problem if there is a mathematical concept involved. So really, children ought to have more opportunities to solve any sort of problems and not be so hung up on 'learning' the solution to a particular kind of question. The treasure hunt you did with the kids, for example, is a great way to encourage problem solving. That's the way to go! Have fun!