Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Childhood then and now

It is only January and already I'm feeling tired.  Well actually I'm the one who has the most relaxed schedule (other than my mother-in-law who can barely fill her day); I mean I feel tired thinking about the girls' schedules.  As if the hours they spend in school is not enough, Tai Pi has supplementary classes on two weekdays, Sai Pi has remedial classes on two weekdays (she has remedial for all her subjects *sigh*) and Pumpkin has remedial once a week.  On top of that, Sai Pi stays behind in school for ballet twice a week, so she has lunch at home on only one weekday.

When did childhood become so filled with schoolwork and enrichment activities?  I remember when I was growing up, we had plenty of time to play, to read, to stare out of the window and day dream.

We had so much fun, bro, sis and me.  Bro operated a fast food eatery out of our bedroom, with a plank placed on stools as a table where we would sit and enjoy hamburgers he prepared.  I liked his arcade better though.  The faithful plank formed a platform on which a toy car moved from one point to another trying not to hit the obstacles placed here and there.  You "move" the toy car by turning a wheel (some round object, don't remember what it was now) and Bro, holding on to the toy car with his fingers, would turn the car left or right accordingly.  Bro also had his own music charts radio show with only two ardent listeners - sis and me.  He would play the week's top ten songs plus a new song and sis and I had to fill in contest forms guessing the top ten songs for the following week in the correct order.  It was very hard to win the contest so I was outraged when sis finally won and all she got was a slightly used Erasermate (easerable pen from Papermate which was quite the rage then).

Sis and I also had endless fun with our stuff toys, each with a different personality and voice (all provided by yours truly).  We loved boardgames too.  At one time we played Monopoly every single day.  Our other favourites were Pay Day, Cluedo and Risk.

We also used to play all kinds of sports indoors - table tennis on our coffee table with a row of cassette tapes for a net, basketball with the vents just above the bedroom doors as the "net", softball and football (only penalties).

We even had time to keep pets although I must admit that I got quite sick of cleaning the fish tank and fantasized about "accidentally" flushing the fishes down the toilet.  And on hindsight, we might have been guilty of abusing our terrapins.  We would make homes out of drawing block paper which we decorated and then push the terrapins into the homes.  Later, distracted by TV, I would completely forget about my terrapin and find it missing.  Well it wouldn't really be missing because I knew where it was - it somehow always ended up under the piano and I would get a long ruler and whack it out.  *Ouch*

Even in school we had time to play.  My best friends and I played table tennis everyday before and after class at the back end of the canteen where there were a few table tennis tables.  We would play during recess too except that we had prefect duty.  When we weren't playing table tennis or Yeh Yeh aka Zero Point, we would be at the playground opposite the school.  Nearby, from the backdoor of her ground floor flat, a lady sold homemade ice lolly tubes for ten cents each.  We were so busy having fun everyday after school that we would get home only at 4pm.

It's really amazing how much free time we had then.  There wasn't much homework and whatever homework there was, I completed them in class during the time one teacher left the classroom till the next teacher arrived. I had no ECA (but I did have weekly piano lessons) and I did not even study for the PSLE.  And tuition and assessment books were unheard of (ok, my parents are guilty of being the pioneers of assessment books but they didn't make us work on the assessment books they wrote).

Fast forward thirty years and look at the kind of childhood the girls are having now.  Remedial class, supplementary lessons, CCA, tuition, homework, enrichment classes... *sigh*.  Children are being robbed of their childhood, or at least the kind of childhood I knew.

It is frustrating for me to force my children into a routine that meets the demands of the local education system and I believe this is the cause of my lack of patience with my children.  Every time I help them with their schoolwork, I end up berating them - "How is it that you don't know this??  Weren't you paying attention in class??  Can you do your work a little faster??"  I just want their schoolwork to be done with so they can have time to be children.  If the girls were academically inclined or intellectually gifted, it would be less of a struggle, but alas their talents and interests lie elsewhere.

If this is what life is like for parents and children today, imagine how much worse it will be for the next generation.  I've come to the point where I'm alright with the idea of not having any grandchildren.  I don't want to see my children struggle with parenthood and my grandchildren deprived of their childhood.  I've had enough of this rat race; all I ask is to have peace of mind in my golden years.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been struggling w/ my kids' schedules too. I'm not one of those who eagerly fill up her kids' days. I've been exhausted, driving them in & out, rushing to cook. I'm getting panicky abt EJ's upcoming CA1 cuz I've not done any revision w/ him, as he's been having 2-3 subjects of homework every single day. When wkend comes along, I dont 've d heart to do any revision after he's completed whatelse, but more homework :(

I'm anxiously waiting to c what dis generation of (s'pore) kids will turn out when they r adults. They seem to be "fed" work/studies, they then sorta regurgitate in exams. Not much thinking required, juz more exposure.
U didnt study for PSLE & u got into top sec sch!!!! Wow, u r genius. I didnt study for PSLE and I got into super ah lian sec sch.

"d other Yvonne"

fuzzoo said...

I was a member of Mensa in fact. If my kids inherited my IQ they wouldn't have to spend so much time on schoolwork. That's the irony. Those who r naturally good at academics don't need to spend so much time on it; those who r not inclined towards academics spend an inordinate amount of time on it just to obtain average grades when they could b investing that time and energy on areas they have talent and interest in.

I think this generation of kids will suffer from burnout. When they finally reach the end of their academic career and find that they have to begin yet another rat race, they will b so jaded. Maybe that's why altho Singapore students rank very highly on global literacy, math and science tests, u don't see Singapore producing any great inventor or Nobel Prize winner. Our education system is good at producing workers who follow instructions. Maybe that's why u see many entrepreneurs here r those who did not do well in school.

Clement said...

Hey Fuzzoo,
I am a teacher in a pretty well-known secondary school and accidentally stumbled onto your blog while searching material on conducting a civic district heritage tour... I wanna say that I am really impressed with the kind of life lessons and experiences you are creating for your kids; these lessons and experiences are stuff u will never ever get in a public school!
Sadly, Spore is a society based largely on academics, in fact, I was really angry to hear that your child had gotten a place in SOTA but yet lost out due to her 'mediocre' results in PSLE...
Wanna wish u all the best in this year journey ahead helping your child to do well in PSLE and more importantly, in life yah:)

fuzzoo said...

Thank you for your encouragement Clement. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things will work for my daughter this year.

Lee said...

I there, I'm a mother searching for SOTA information and came across your blog, and like the teacher above, I'm really angry about the fact that they can't let your daughter in with with just 7 points short :( I saw that you haven't blogged for the last year. I hope everything is well but just want to let you know that there are people who would bump onto your blog. Hope your daughter's PSLE was what she/you had hoped for!

fuzzoo said...

Hi Lee
Even if SOTA was willing to accept my daughter, she would still have been held back to re-sit the PSLE as MOE requires homeschoolers who do not qualify for the Express Stream to re-sit the PSLE the following year.
The following year she again did not have a happy ending as the opposite happened - she did pretty well in the PSLE but she was did not even make it to the waiting list for SOTA. She kept her portfolio largely similar to the one from the year before that the panellists had gushed over but I suppose the panellists in her 2nd audition had different artistic preference from the earlier panel.
Sigh, story of her life...
She and her younger sister who sat for the PSLE last year are now homeschooling with an American virtual school.
Thanks for dropping by my (stagnant) blog and your well wishes.

Alex said...

Yea,
When I as a kid my mom was my tuition teacher! hahaha!
Now a days, parents are hiring home tutors and teacher to coach their child!
Anyway... Good luck to everyone taking their PSLE this year!

varsha said...

very nice.

Psle math tuition

psle science tuition

psle english tuition

psle science tuition in singapore

psle english tuition in singapore