Thursday, January 13, 2011

Better late than never

2010 was quite a year. I (and KK) turned 40, Tai Pi sat for the PSLE, Sai Pi started primary school and Pumpkin went back to school after two years of homeschool. But what makes 2010 so special to me is that I finally learnt to cook and drive!!!

Yes I did take Home Economics back in secondary school and yes I did use to cook when I was in University (not because I was studying overseas but because my parents used to go on month long holidays leaving us to fend for ourselves), but I never really understood how to cook; cooking seemed such a mystery and I absolutely had to stick strictly to the recipe.

Well I decided at the beginning of 2010 that I'd better learn to cook, and fast, because my mother-in-law was slowing with age, taking some 3 hours to prepare a meal and also showing poor judgement possibly due to her Alzheimer's Disease condition.

It turned out to be much easier than I thought and I am happy to say that I am now quite a competent cook. Even good enough to teach Tai Pi how to cook! After lessons every morning (we had lessons from 9am-noon), if she was done with her work, Tai Pi would help me in the kitchen. Here she is preparing fried rice.


Driving was the other important lifeskill that I learnt in 2010. I started lessons in July, took the test in November and became a car owner in December!!! No more trudging under than hot sun, no more lugging heavy bags around. Woohoo!!! I love my Toyota Sienta and so do the girls. It's a small MPV with seats that can be folded and tucked away which is kinda fun. So from being the only adult I know without a driver's license, I'm now zipping about everyday in my cute car.

So it's never too late to pick up some lifeskills. What I learnt in 2010 certainly has changed my life!

Me in my Toyota Sienta waiting by the roadside while KK picked up dinner from a coffeeshop


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, so happy to see more Sienta onwers in Singapore roads. If you haven't already join, do join the Singapore Sienta Club at

http://forums.cjb.net/sgsienta.html

Do register as a member.

Hope to see you at the Sienta Club Forum.

~sgnick