Thursday, November 16, 2006

Pumpkin graduates

I remember when Tai Pi graduated from kindergarten, KK and I were feeling a little teary-eyed at her graduation as it seemed the end of the most carefree years of her childhood. We were not quite looking forward to the next phase of her life where she would be faced with homework, exams and big class sizes where she would not get the kind of care and attention from the teachers as she did in pre-school. But it hasn't turned out to be as bad as I imagined - Tai Pi doesn't get much homework and her school doesn't give the children much pressure or make them feel their self-worth is tied to their academic performance, so she's still the happy child that she was in pre-school which is a relief to me.

And now it is Pumpkin's turn to graduate from kindergarten. Although I still feel a tinge of sadness, I have much less anxiety about her entering primary school. Last Sunday, we watched with pride as she walked up the stage in her graduation gown. Some 500 graduating children from the various branches of the school performed at the concert. Pumpkin was a coconut dancer performing in an item based on a traditional Thai folklore. She looked so cute in the costume and danced really well.

So now it's two down and one more to go. I think I will feel more than a little sad when it is Sai Pi's turn to graduate from pre-school; they are growing up so quickly.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your mama #2 and I think you really look pretty and cute in the Thai costume, Pumpkin. We really wish we were there to watch the concert and your dance.