Thursday, November 16, 2006

Hello Auntie

A few days back, Pumpkin told me that her girlfriends at school were exchanging their Mummies' handphone numbers but she wasn't able to give them my number because she didn't know it. So the next day, I wrote my number on some scraps of paper for her to give to her friends. That evening, one of her friends, Zee, promptly called me.

Zee: Hello. Can I speak to Pumpkin?

Me: She's not with me. I'm still at the office. I think she's at home. Who's that on the line?

Zee: I'm Zee. My birthday is 1st Dec. This Saturday and after that another Saturday and then it's my birthday. I'm having a BBQ on my birthday. Pumpkin said that she will have a BBQ at her place on my birthday.

Me: Er.. it's your birthday, don't you think you should have a BBQ at YOUR place?

Zee: Pumpkin said that there is a table downstairs.

Me: Actually, we'll be moving house soon so we will be very busy; I don't think we can have a BBQ. And our new place has no BBQ pit.

Zee: Which floor are you on? I can drive to your place.

At that point, the conversation was getting too bizarre so I gave Zee our home number and asked her to call Pumpkin at that number. I don't know what possessed me to give my handphone number to a bunch of six-year-olds but I must remember never to do that again!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha...must never ever give to children!!! Some kids I teach sometimes ask for my number or email but I will never give.

Anonymous said...

Just keep your fingers crossed that Pumpkin's other friends don't call you. I think Zee is cute, isn't she?

fuzzoo said...

Yes i have learnt my lesson - no more giving my number away to young children. The day after that call, I gave Pumpkin our home number and told her to distribute to her friends so they won't call my mobile. That Zee has been calling our home number everyday! This morning she called and I was eavesdropping - I heard her giving Pumpkin directions to her gramdma's house.

Anonymous said...

Some kids are so bored and have no one to talk to, they turn to the phone. Maybe Zee is like that. Still, I think she should ask her mum permission to use the phone.