Friday, March 10, 2006

4 years 3 terms to PSLE

It's been 5 months since I started blogging and I have been having so much fun I almost forgot how this blog was born out of my frustration and anxiety over Tai Pi's school work. Flashback - it is Oct 2005, Tai Pi's exams are around the corner and I only just discovered how bad she is at math because the irresponsible mother that I am I hadn't bothered to check her work all the while. So then came a period of intense coaching during which I turned into a crazed woman, screaming, crying, banging the table. Fortunately just before Tai Pi's exams, with Kong Kong's help, I came to my senses. So now I am back to being my old bo chap self; didn't even look into Tai Pi's organiser to see what homework she had till 2 months into the new year. But somehow, I have a feeling that closer to exam time, I'm going to turn into Mr Hyde again. Poor Tai Pi. But no, I cannot let that happen again. So today, on the last day of school term one, I resolve to pay more attention to Tai Pi's school work and not to resort to last minute mugging. My blog title will be a reminder.

Anyway, just a couple of days back, Tai Pi's teacher called to ask about some form that Tai Pi was supposed to hand over but seemed to have lost (typical of Tai Pi). At the same time, she told me that she considered Tai Pi to be a "high performing student" - fwah, my Tai Pi is a high performer leh!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, when I saw your blog name, I had the impression that you might be a very dedicated mum to your child's school work. Haha...

I've heard my friend saying the same thing about Mr Hyde when she tries to coach her son. So in the end, she hired a tuition teacher and completely leave it to the teacher.

Your daughter should be okay, the fact that the teacher has made such a positive remark. So maybe no need to worry too much and over stress yourself.

Anonymous said...

A wise man (sorry, can't remember names, as always)once said, "Love is like a little bird in your hand. Grip it tightly, it dies. Let it go and it flies away." or something like this.
The point I'm trying to make is all parents, especially mothers, worry about their children's everything, from education to career to marriage and well-being, comfort and happiness. It's normal to want one's children to do well in school but keeping too close a watch over their progress everyday may be too close for the children's comfort and the result may be opposite of your expectation. Then you go crazy and rave about how hard you've tried to help while your innocent kids just understand why you're so mad after having interfered so much with their work and affecting their results. On the other hand, if you're too lax (bo chap), your kids may think that you're not interested in their education and schoolwork. So they also "bo chap". Then what happens next? Your guess is as good as mine. My advice is to take the middle path in this as well as everything else in life and I'm quite sure that everyone will the happier for it.

fuzzoo said...

sesame: Yes I have a friend who turned to tutors as she too turned into a monster coaching her son. But I'm trying hard not to do that as it will mean that much less time that Tai Pi will have with the family, her friends or doing stuff she enjoys.

kong kong: You are right. I should be mindful that I don't keep them on too tight a leash but also shouldn't be too bo chap. I think many parents in Singapore breathe down their children's necks too much and always telling them what to do, resulting in their children being clueless when the time comes for them to take care of themselves - they get so used to being told what to do.

Anonymous said...

As a child growing up, I have always felt that Pa (Kongkong) did not care if I did well in school. Or maybe he did but did not want to show it. I guess he trusted that we understand the importance of education and knew that we would make something out of ourselves even if we didn't get a degree. I guess he's right. I wouldn't want him breathing down my neck while I try to study!