Wednesday, October 19, 2005

By George I think she's got it!

This evening, Tai Pi was in very high spirits. Her teacher at BASC (Before And After School Care) gave the kids a math test paper in the morning and another one in the afternoon (PSLE marking week so no school). She scored 90% in one and 91% in the other! She was so very pleased with herself. So my efforts have not gone to waste!

But still, I resolve not to raise my voice at her and I will remember to look at the big picture and not get hung up over tests and exams. Tai Pi's Kong Kong is right - the important thing is that she understands the concepts; it's too much to expect her not to make any careless mistakes. And I am not kiasu lah! It's just that I realised I had been too uninvolved. I used to not even bother to look at her schoolwork or textbooks. I guess I was trying to make up for lost time with this intensive coaching.

Whether Tai Pi does well or not, I believe the most important thing is for her to understand that she must not judge herself or others using academic performance. So she shouldn't feel inferior if she doesn't do well and likewise, she shouldn't feel superior if she does.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right. The most important thing is that Tai Pi enjoys the learning process. She is an intelligent girl and you can be proud of her whatever the outcome of her test is. And congratulations to Tai Pi for scoring so well in Maths. Explore other strategies and you'll find there's more to Maths than they teach you in school.