Saturday, May 02, 2009

CATS...now and forever!

"How's it going?" I SMS-ed my brother who was over at the AWARE EOGM as an associate member.  "I'm sure this is more entertaining than CATS!  This is worth the $40 I paid to be a member, " came the reply.

While the cat fight (apologies for using this sexist term) was going on at the AWARE EOGM at Suntec City this afternoon, KK and the girls and I were enjoying a catty entertainment of a different sort.  Finally, the girls get to watch CATS live after watching it on DVD a million times.  I had caught it the last time it was in Singapore almost 20 years ago and enjoyed it tremendously.

Because the girls were already big fans, we were buying CATS merchandise at the stand even before the show - a t-shirt for Tai Pi which she wore during the show, key chains for Pumpkin and Sai Pi, a CD featuring the original London cast, and the programme.

The girls watched the show with great anticipation as they were by now so familiar with all the songs and dance moves.  Tai Pi kept turning to me to point out the differences between the stage performance and the DVD version.  I must say that the DVD cast is certainly way better than the stage cast but understandably so as the DVD is a permanent record and the producers would have made sure that only the very best would be cast in each role and of course re-takes are possible in the filming.  But as I keep saying to the girls, watching a live performance has its own enjoyment and excitement that you don't get from watching a DVD.

I do hope that CATS goes on playing forever so that the girls might one day get to bring their own children to catch this most fantastical musical.

All ready for the show

Posing with Rum Tum Tugger


Rabid fans with their CATS merchandise

2 comments:

household name said...

I like 'Jellicle Ball' and 'Mr Mistoffelees' very much. But, for some reason, not 'Memory', which must be a global favourite.

fuzzoo said...

Me. But if u watch the whole show enough times, the other tunes will grow on u.