Saturday, September 01, 2007

"Daddy"

I am of the view that being a good communicator is one of the key success factors in life. While it is possible to be eloquent without being particularly good in any language, it certainly helps to have a strong grasp of at least one language. So I am quite bothered that the girls speak quite a bit of Singlish, but now and then Tai Pi would surprise me as she did yesterday when she displayed an appreciation of some subtle nuances of the English language.

The girls were watching High School Musical (showing for the upteenth time on Disney Channel) and one of the characters called his father "Dad".

Tai Pi: "He called his father "Dad". I prefer to call Daddy "Daddy". It makes me feel like a little girl. Saying "Dad" makes me feel old and I don't want to be old and die".

Me: "When you grow up, are you still going to call Daddy "Daddy"?"

Tai Pi: "Yes." Turns to KK, "Hello Daddy!"

No comments: