Saturday, December 17, 2005

Tai Pi learns a lesson or two

Lesson #1
The Saturday after Tai Pi made her first $10, she went to work again, eager to make another $10. When we went to pick her up in the evening, she appeared gloomy and we found out from the Lau Ban Niang that Tai Pi and her friends (Lau Ban's children) were at one part of the afternoon, playing more than they were working. And so they got a scolding from the Lau Ban Niang and Tai Pi was paid only $8 for her day's labour. She's lucky to get $8; the Lau Ban's children got zilch. Let's hope Tai Pi learns from this experience that if you are going to monkey around, you'll be paid peanuts....

Lesson #2
Last Wednesday, Tai Pi committed the cardinal sin of writing on my luxury Italian designer sofa with a marker... and this was not the first time. I couldn't be more mad and was screaming my head off at her. Why did she do that? As she said, she "wasn't thinking". To give her a taste of her own medicine, I forced her to write her name (that's what she wrote on the sofa) on her favourite stuff toy - a most adorable little green thing with an oversized head and a little leaf coming out of its head. She cried her heart out as she wrote her name on the toy. I was upset too as I also love that cute little thing. But sometimes, the only way to teach someone a lesson is to do it the hard way. I asked Tai Pi how it felt to have her favourite possession dirtied like that and she said she felt sad and I explained to her that that's how I feel when she dirties my sofa. Fortunately the marker was not a strong one and we were able to wash off the markings from the sofa and the stuff toy. Only time will tell if Tai Pi remembers this lesson.

2 comments:

fuzzoo said...

Writing on the sofa is just one of Tai Pi's many antics. Last night KK found Sai Pi trying to climb up the headboard of our bed and realised that Tai Pi had been jumping off the headboard onto the mattress so Sai Pi was following her example. We know Tai Pi is especially playful and that's the way she is so we need to find a balance between disciplining her and not suppressing her personality.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! U do sound as evil as I am. Maybe I'm worse cos my gal is only 4 this yr. But I do agree wholeheartedly that sometimes, the only way to get kids to learn is through the hard way. Let's hope thay do learn!