Sunday, April 09, 2006

Pound foolish

I read something in today's papers that I found most appalling. No, not the news about the pervert caught filming up women's skirts, sick as it is. Something even more unimaginable - couples blowing unbelievable sums of money on their weddings. Sorry I can't provide a link to the article because the Straits Times started charging for online access and I am not so silly as to pay for subscription when I can read Today for free online and off.

It seems the Singaporean obsession with keeping up, or I should say outdoing the Jones has spread to weddings. The article said that more and more couples are spending a bomb on elaborate wedding ceremonies and overseas photo shoots. There was this couple, a 32-year-old shipping firm CEO (so young already CEO, must be family business) and his 28-year-old product manager bride, who blew a cool $330,000 on their wedding:
- Wedding banquet at Ritz Carlton with 85 tables and a customised menu which included two whole abalones for each diner, premium shark's fin and suckling pig ($200,000)
- Two Vera Wang gowns and a Francis Cheong cheongsam ($50,000)
- Four bridesmaids' dresses ($800)
- Louis Vuitton shoes from New York ($2,000)
- Ballroom floral decorations ($60,000)
- Jazz band ($5,000)
- Photo shoot in Sydney ($15,000)

The couple said that at first they wanted a simple wedding but changed their mind because they "didn't want to look back and regret." What makes them think they will not look back and regret spending a sum that could buy you an apartment?! They said they would not have had such a big wedding if they were not comfortable in their careers, because "we believe in living within our means". I hope they are multi-millionaires. I don't know... it just doesn't make sense to me why couples would choose to start their marriage in debt over a wedding.

Another bride-to-be who was planning to have a Carribean-style wedding on Sentosa with steel drummers, salsa dancers, etc, said "I want something special for my wedding. I want my guests to enjoy themselves and I don't mind paying a bit more for that." Aiyoh young lady, your friends and family will be happy for you on your wedding day because they love you; it is the company that matters so spend time with your guests on that day instead of distracting them with all that entertainment. Anyway they can get that sort of entertainment at their company D&D.

While the girls were at Taekwondo class today, I hopped over to the Library and borrowed a few books for them including this one - Whatever Wanda Wanted. It is about a girl who was spoilt rotten by her doting but busy parents who gave her whatever she wanted. One day she gets her hands on a mystical kite that carries her far away and drops her onto a desert island. There she realizes what is really important - "I don't miss my fancy clothes or TV, or any of my toys. I just really, really miss my mom and dad." Maybe that's what we all need to experience - losing everything in order to see the difference between our needs and our wants and come to really appreciate that the most important things in life are not things.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the article but I didn't bother to read it. The headline itself turned me off. Especially because I'm the sort who believes in simplicity. I would not have bothered with a dinner altogether if not for my in-laws.

I suppose a lot of pple are quite idealistic. Anyway, making a grand impression using money is easy but it seems that a lot of pple won't put in the sort of emotional effort or commitment to work on making a marriage last though.

FBT said...

yes, I cannot understand why anyone would spend that kind of money on a wedding unless they are millionaires. At the cheap end of the scale, we bought ourselves a washing machine and a tumbledryer, rather than bothering with an engagement ring. No regrets so far!

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence. I just blogged about that article too!

I think it is interesting that these couples, who don't appear to be using their rich parents' ( if indeed their parents are rich) money but their own, believe they are spending within their means. Are young people earning so much these days? Are they saving enough for their retirement, children's education, etc?

fuzzoo said...

I suppose these people live for today and don't worry too much about tomorrow. But if they spend so much on their wedding, bet you they will also want the best for everything else - their home, car, holidays, etc. If they don't have the financial means to keep it up, they are going to run into problems and the marriage may suffer - so much for a fairytale wedding.

Household name: I doubt they thought so far as to plan for their retirement, children's education, etc. Just living for the moment I think.

Anonymous said...

That poor rich couple just wanted attention, that's all and what they've done is a sure way of getting it! O' Boy! But what an expensive way to get some temporary attention from the media. The poor kids must have not been getting enough attention from their very busy parents since childhood, I suspect, and that almost always make the kids work hard to attract attention by all ways and means. Seems more of a pity!!! I can't stress enough the importance of a closely knit family in which every member receives equal attention and love from each other at all times.

Anonymous said...

Sounds too familiar. Heard an argument between my bro-in-law and parents-in-law over his forthcoming wedding. Vindictive I may sound but my bro-in-law is one of those who has been used to getting his way and having pple bail him out of trouble and so I definitely agree with you that these pple will only learn through the hard way. Sad la, but no choice if they choose to think themselves so smart.